Sunday, January 22, 2012

Painting In The Tub

I was a little bored this weekend waiting for the Sunday afternoon New England game, so I decided to tackle the worn down vanity in our second floor bathroom.

Not a Fan of the 80s Wood Color


Why is no DIY project ever as easy as it should be?  While inspecting the wood doors, I quickly discarded the possibility of sanding and restainingway too much time for a weekend projectand decided to just paint the eye sore.  Much to my surprise, the vanity came with veneer side panels despite the doors being woodclassy right?

A couple of strokes on one of the panels and I couldn't get the paint to stay on!

 DIY "Oh Crap!"
I'm not the most patient person, but I wasn't about to let a little fake wood stop me from updating that ugly vanity!  In a separate furniture project, I used an oil based primer before painting so I gave that a try hoping the oil base would stick and I could paint the black latex paint over it.

White Primer Tinted Gray
After a few hours of drying, I got down to some creative painting positions

Tight Squeeze

I'm definitely proud of this one!  And I was able to get it primed, painted, and sealed all before kickoff!

LOVE IT!
Next up for this bathroom?  More painting!  

Dollars & Cents:

How much did boredom cost this weekend?  NOTHING!  The paint and brushes used were left over from a previous project!



2 comments:

  1. What did you use to seal it? I painted a piece of furniture last year but didn't seal it and now it's peeling : ( Think I need to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Beth: Did you prime the surface before painting? Using an oil based primer before you paint will adhere the paint firmly to the surface. If you did prime it, try using Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic protective finish. The sealer protects our vanity from water seeping through and minor scratches and bumps. I use the Satin finish because it tones down the shine you get from the paint just enough that it looks as if you just purchased your piece off the showroom floor!

    ReplyDelete