Sunday, February 12, 2012

From Shabby Chic to Black

I've accepted the fact that I have expensive taste.  I don't know what it is, but I tend to gravitate towards expensive things.  Unfortunately my taste doesn't always match what's in my our bank account.

What caught my eye:
$729 Price Tag
You have to know when to pick your battles with DH and I knew trying to convince DH to spend that kind of cash on an end table would have been a waste of time.  I had to get a little creative, which for me usually means bringing out the paint brush.    

During a recent shopping trip to our favorite antique store, I scored The Knock-Off! 

$300 Price Tag

Already stripped, sanded, and in great condition, this piece was a great buy!


What's the trick to getting paint to stick to your furniture?  Oil-based primer!  Why use a primer?  First, your paint isn't going to peel off.  If you spill a beverage on it, it won't seep into the wood and stain.  The primer comes in white, so I asked the home improvement clerk to tint it gray since I'm painting the table black.

The trick to preventing paint from peeling and flaking

You're probably horrified at the site of me painting over hardwood floor but it was cold outside!  And you haven't been in my haunted basement!  

Step 1: Apply a thin even coat of primer. It's important to let the paint dry completely before applying more paintmake sure you thoroughly read the instructions before applying your second coat!  


Make sure to have a window open!
Step 2: Apply latex-based paint.  With a new clean brush, apply a thin coat and don't worry about the lines!  When you use a good paint brush and paint, lines are minimal and good paint self corrects.  For this piece I used Glidden's Semi-Gloss (for a bit of shine) Onyx Black.  Don't worry about applying latex-based paint over oil-based paint, it's the other way around that often leads to the bubbling and DIY disaster!  Remember, latex after oil!

Invest in quality paint and brushes
Remember, read the paint directions carefully and apply the second coat after the recommended drying time.
Almost done!
Step 3: I always recommend sealing your projects for easy cleaning, the prevention of scuffs and scratches and to prevent liquids from penetrating your furniture.  For this table, I used MinWax's water-based polycrylic protective finish in clear satin.  The clear satin finish avoids adding an extra layer of shine to the already semi-gloss black paint.  Use a clean paint brush and remember NOT to go over an area you have already brushed the sealer on.  This finish brushes on creamy white and harden's clear so you know exactly where you've applied it!

For easy cleaning!



Step 4: After applying your final coat of sealer, wait at least 3 full days (72 hrs) before placing anything on top 

$729 Worthy for only $341

Dollars & Cents:

End Table: $300
Oil-based primer: $8
Paint: $12
Paint Brushes: $21
Project time: 1 day/ 3 days for drying

No comments:

Post a Comment