Sunday, April 1, 2012

Amateur Architect

I spent all of last week in a class on Critical Thinking—thinking about thinking for better/improved thinking.  How long do you think it took me to stop thinking about better thinking and start daydreaming about our home addition?  If you guessed an hour, you are right!  An hour into class and I was doodling on my complimentary notepad.  

I got home after my first day of thinking class and I could't wait to put my amateur designs into my favorite web based design program!  To help DH “see-it” I used Homestyler by AutoDesk.  Haven't heard of AutoDesk? AutoDesk makes AutoCad, an industry favorite software application for drafting in both 2D and 3D formats.   AutoCad is expensive, but Homestyler is free!  The site is user friendly and it took me about 5 minutes to get the hang of it.  Although there are some items you cannot customize, the program has a TON of options. 

This is our home today.  There's our tiny and poorly designed kitchen with a ton of wasted space.  An empty office space with dented and uneven walls.  

Pre-Addition

And here's our 1st floor post-addition!!  Demolished walls, open kitchen with a HUGE island and marble countertops, and an extra 360 square feet!

Post-Addition 2D

Need more of a visual?


Post-Addition 3D

So what's got me down?  Well, besides my design probably costing an arm and a leg to actually build, there was a post course exam.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I passed.

So what do you think? Any suggestions or constructive criticism? 

No comments:

Post a Comment