Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sticker Shock

WARNING: This post was written while upset and two glasses in to really tasty Prosecco.

Let me start by emphasizing how much respect I have for the trades.  DH and I have this philosophy that we'll DIY as much as possible but hire out on plumbing--don't want to flood the place-- and electrical--don't want to start a fire or die from electrocution--not because it's hard, but because it requires a true professional with experience under his/her belt (no pun intended).

I believe that one should be adequately compensated for the work that they do.  I mean, I myself expect to be paid well for what I do, why wouldn't I expect the same for the trades?  I also believe that you get what you pay for; however, a small electrical fire or electrocution may be worth it.

Today I was told our "million dollar house" needed $65,000 of electric work.  You read that correctly.  That's 4 professionals working full time for 2 weeks.  This is a great company, came highly recommended and we wouldn't have to worry about the quality of the work or materials.

Even as I say it out loud and type it out, I still can't wrap my mind around the cost.  I feel like going through my DVR and rewatching every show on HGTV to see if their electrical costs come any where close.  I get it, and I hope you do to.  Either HGTV has #alternativeFacts or I'm calling the wrong folks for quotes.

And maybe it was the way he explained it to me that set off this type of reaction.

I almost cried, doubled over, and threw up on the man's shoes.  Then I got upset.  

Is it because of the location?

Is it because I'm--a woman--acting as the General Contractor (GC)? Do GCs get a better price?  Would my husband get a better price?

Am I underpaid??!?!?!?!

Twenty minutes later and a new sense of reality has set in.  Did I underestimate the work that needs to be done?  Was I naive not to see how everything would cost more because of the beach location and the double square footage?

Do I have an unrealistic understanding of how much things cost?

For now, I'll call another company for another quote and I think I'll rewatch Super Bowl 51 and get my blood pressure under control...well, at least the 4th quarter.

1 comment:

  1. Oh.My.God! That's horrible... call around girl! Play them off each other.

    ReplyDelete