Friday, May 4, 2012

Ceiling Architecture

I have fallen in love with coffered ceilings!  Don't know what they are?  Neither did I until I came across the idea two days ago while Googling  "dining room ideas" for my inspiration board. 

via mainlinekitchendesign.com

Don't you just want these in your kitchen or dining room??  At first, I thought it unlikely to successfully pull this off with 8 ft ceilings.  But after some online research and measuring the beams currently in my not-yet-done office, I decided that it's doable especially when I'm determined to get it done! 

Yep, that's my determined face

Coffered ceilings have become my obsession for the past two days.  First I found amazing DIY instructions written by Gary Katz, which you can find here.  I measured the room, designed a grid, and went shopping!

This is where math class really pays off

It didn't take long to convince DH to let me take a stab at this especially after receiving a $4,800 quote from a very nice carpenter!  Yep, double my total budget for this room!!  

A new nail gun, some finger jointed pine, and an hour later I built a quarter of my first anchor! 

Only 16 more to go!

I'm so excited to take this on!  Do you think I can do it or am I off my rocker?




2 comments:

  1. The example coffered ceiling makes me want to drool! I am a lover of fancy ceilings. You can totally do it, just watch the dust in your eyes and painstaking detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's taking forever! I just now finished the last darn anchor.

      Delete