Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Dirty Word


Cartoon by Robert Leighton


Budget. 

The exact moment the honeymoon phase with Dolce Olin ended is a bit hazy. 

It might have been during the first week when I fell down the “1940’s building code” stairs. (Round trip flight to Italy)

Or maybe it was during week two when DH and I discovered a leaky roof over our bedroom and sunroom. (4-day Italian Cooking Class)

Or definitely in week three when we discovered we couldn’t have more than a single major appliance running at the same time. (4-day hotel stay in Venice)

I must have missed my calling as a "Miss Fix-it"!  Why is it that I can justify spending an absurd amount of money on shoes, purses, and make-up but cringe at the sight of a home repair estimate?  After 5 months of throwing tar over our problems (literally), DH and I had a very lively (air support was called in) discussion on our renovation budget.  Various DIY websites have a wide variety of formulas on how much you should spend on your renovation.  DH and I settled on a very unscientific, yet appropriate, formula to arrive at our budget.  
Dolce Olin sales price - Median home prices + a few top of the line finishes + “oh crap” incidentals (DIY mishaps and because we know a ‘40s home will always have a few  unexpected surprises) = our BUDGET!